Wednesday, September 2, 2009

It's 10pm! -- Do you know where your child's Baby Book is?

Like every other mother, when I was expecting (both times), I had extremely high hopes of filling out the girls respective baby books with every little detail of their lives.  You know, the basics, like first smile, first giggle, first step, first tooth, oh and for fun, I was going to note every time they took a bath (Secretly, I lay awake at night wondering how many times I've actually bathe in my life, it's just a random wacky fact that I'd like to know about myself and of course, I blame my mother for not counting before I could).  


Anyway, you know how it goes....you give birth to this beautiful baby - and then realized that WOW, admist the every 2 1/2 hour feedings and dirty diaper changes, you don't have time to write ANYTHING down, let alone neatly fill out a baby book that will be passed down for generations.  OH God - the PRESSURE!

So, here's the tip:  instead of stressing yourself out and running to the baby book every single time something momentous happens, keep a small note pad nearby (like post-it note size without the sticky part) and write the date and event on the note paper.  Take that note paper and place it into a clear shoe box or any other decorative box that you have.  Once a month or when you have uninterrupted time- take all of your notes out and transfer them into the baby book.  This allows you to take the time to do it neatly without missing any important moment.

My fave baby book is Carter's Sweet Baby Girl Record Book (you can find it on Amazon).  You can also find it at Target, but it will have a slightly different cover simply because it is produced by Just One Year (Carter's brand for Target)





The book has a very simple layout. It prompts you with questions and provides a place for all the important information- no thinking involved (something very useful when you're suffering from a bad case of "mommy brain").   Also, there are plenty of blank pages at the end to fill in with your own ideas and memories. 


Isn't it nice to know that you can hand your kids a fully executed, neatly written baby book, even if you haven't noted every bath?

No comments:

Post a Comment