Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Happy Hump Day

So I've made it to day three of my first week back to work.  As you can tell from my post on Monday, I was pretty down in the dumps about leaving my girls. While I still would love to spend every waking second with them, there is something to be said about heading into the business world and being able to have conversations that don't involve the phrase "hi pretty girl, who loves you? mama does! who loves you pretty girl?"  BUT most of all....I absolutely love being able to sit at my desk and sip my hot cup of coffee without any interruption. Really, it's a slice of heaven.

In planning my return, I have managed to turn my house upside down and put it back together again in an effort to organize, find a place for everything and put everything in its place.  This state of order lasted about forty-seven seconds.  Clearly, order and organization are both unrealistic and unattainable goals when you live with the following creatures:

(A) a husband;
(B) a three year old, high maintenance, high heel and crown wearing, pre-schooler;
(C) a newborn; oh yeah, and that thingy that I wanted so badly, because he was so darn cute...
(D) a crazy, psycho, pee on the rug, bark at the mailman, dog named Vegas.

EXHIBIT B





 EXHIBIT C & D







Take a look again at Exhibit C.  If you can get past the large, pink crown on her head, you'll notice that Giuliana is posing very proudly in front of a brightly colored hanging board. Well, at the recommendation of one of my best girlfriends, Shannon, we purchased the Melissa and Doug - "My Responsibility Chart".  And let me tell you, it is worth the $15 you'll pay for it.

It comes with the following  responsibility magnets:  get ready for bed, get dressed, take bath, clear table, put toys away, keep hands to self, share, brush teeth, stop whining, apologize to someone, say please and thank you, help with indoor/outdoor chores, no teasing, show respect, load/empty dishwasher, put clothes in wash, don't use bad language, set table, take care of pet, do homework, make bed, clean room, take out trash, keep hands to self, plus two blank to write your own.  Also included are plenty of reward magnets (i.e. "good job",  "awesome", "super") to give when the tasks are completed.
 
If you squint your left eye and look at the last responsibility on our chart, you'll see I've used my P-Touch label maker to make a "Princess Points" category for miscellaneous good acts -- earn 5 princess points and Giuliana gets a prize! How much fun is that??   But this leaves me wondering, when does mommy get a prize, because lord knows, we mamas deserve them like every three days or so!







 





No comments:

Post a Comment