Sunday, October 25, 2009

Back to Basics

The last time I stepped into a library was over 7 years ago. I remember it like it was yesterday.  I was studying for the NYS Bar Exam.  Day in and day out  for three straight months.  It sucked.  I was traumatized.  I vowed  never to walk into a library again. 

Despite the fact that I banished libraries from my life, I knew I couldn't pass this on to my children.  So I decided to take Giuliana to the Huguenot Children's Library in New Rochelle.  I spent about an hour trying to explain to her what a "library" is.
Giuliana:  Mommy, what is a library?
Me:  Gi - it is a big building that has a ton of books, and you can get a library card, and they let you borrow books, you can take them home, keep them for awhile and then you bring them back and you can take out more...cool right??
Giuliana:  Wow, really cool. Do we have to pay for them? (I couldn't make this up if I wanted to.)
Me:   No! Can you believe it? You just check them out with your library card and bring them home.
It dawned on me right then and there, that libraries are indeed a phenomenal idea. 

Now listen, don't think I'm this horrible mother who hasn't taken her kid to the library ever...it's just that it was my custom and practice to simply buy whatever books Giuliana wanted, in excess amounts.  Today, however, I brought it back to basics.  We went to the library.  I got a library card.  And we took out seven books (there's not even a limit on how many books you can take out!).  Giuliana loved every second of the visit and asked to go back again.  I promised to take her as many times as she wants.

Mommy Note:


The history behind the Huguenot Children's Library is a very interesting one and one worth reading about.  It is beautiful lesson in determination, perseverance and vision.


No matter where you live, find your local library and visit it.  I promise you that the feeling of being surrounded by books and silence is an amazing one. 
 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment