Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The Smiling House

For the past two years, on my way to and from work, I have driven by and admired this truly beautiful and well maintained house.  For some reason, I was always drawn to this house.  Maybe because the color of the siding is so soothing, or the landscaping was so perfectly manicured, or because I could relate to the toys being strewn across the driveway, or because it was always lovingly decorated for every season.  There is something about the aura of this house that just makes you smile.  It makes you want to sip hot cocoa or apple cider while snuggled in a blanket on a brisk day.  I always told my husband that when we're ready to renovate our home, I would knock on their door to ask them how they made their design choices, who did the work, but most of all to give them compliments on how they have literally made their house smile. 

Last night on my way home, I noticed that there were many more cars in the driveway of this house than usual.  I also couldn't ignore the Yonkers Police car sitting out front.  I really had no idea what to think, other than that it looked like an odd situation.  Late last night, I was shocked to learn that the house I have admired over the years, the house that makes me smile every morning, the house that literally looks like it is smiling, is that of fallen Yonkers Firefighter, Patrick Joyce.  My heart broke.

I never knew this man, nor did I know his family.  All I know is what I have read in the papers and heard on the news.  However, the story seems to be the same, that Firefighter Joyce was an incredible man.  I can only say that if the Joyce house itself can make a stranger smile on the way to work, I can only imagine what the man himself was like.  God bless Firefighter Joyce, his wife, his two little girls, his family and friends.  My heartfelt thoughts and prayers are with you. 

2 comments: