Monday, October 19, 2009

Haunted Gingerbread House

I've been missing in action the past few weeks.  We all go through those spells when life gets so hectic that you don't even know if you're coming or going.  When you combine a busy work day (can't complain about that in this day and age) and a few late nights out at functions, you have a recipe for disaster.  Basically, we've run out out of food.  The dishes haven't been washed.  Laundry is piling up. I'm tired.  And to top it all off, I'm feeling guilty that I haven't spent enough time with the girls.  A rainy Sunday was just what the doctor ordered.  We didn't change out of our pajamas.  We lit a "Warm Cinnamon Bun" candle.  I had lentil soup simmering on the stove.  It was a perfect afternoon and what I thought was a truly perfect time for an Arts and Crafts project. 

I bought this contraption at Michael's for $9.99.


 
I'd be lying to you if I told you that this Haunted Gingerbread House was easy to put together.  It's not-- unless of course you are an experienced gingerbread house putter together-er.  I am not.  Anyhow, after mixing 3 different frosting colors, putting together the gingerbread house walls, letting it dry for an hour and then reading through the complicated and unclear instructions, we were ready to decorate.  Giuliana had a blast putting the little candies on the house.  As you can see, she was really into this- project-- just look at her concentration. 



She kept saying "Mommy, that looks just like the box...good job!"  I needed the cheerleading section because, seriously, gingerbread house making is messy and really really hard.  When all was said and done, this was our final product.



NOT BAD for a virgin gingerbread house maker right???

It was a great craft, but mostly it was just wonderful to spend some quality time with my girls. 

1 comment:

  1. I love it! You really did an awesome job of following the picture on the box. How cute is Giuliana with her decorating concentration? I've never ever put together a gingerbread house of any sort. I think that I will have to put that on my "things to do" this Christmas. Of course, I'm enlisting your help. :)

    ReplyDelete