Wednesday, October 28, 2009

I AM A RUNNER

For several years now, I've been dying to call myself a runner. You've seen them.  They're those fit people, dressed in skinny black spandex pants.  They're those people who wear tight, brightly colored "Under Armor Cold Gear" shirts.  They're those people who wear reflective vests and flashing lights.  They're those  crazy people that run in the rain, on Thanksgiving morning, and even during a snowstorm.  I've always wanted to be one of them. 

As of 8:36 this evening, I have accomplished that goal.  I AM a runner.

While I don't consider myself "fit" (yet), I played the "Runner" part well.  I wore skinny black spandex pants and a reflective vest.  It was raining.  And. I. Ran. 3.32 miles to be exact.  I feel like a fitness ROCKSTAR.  I ran through piles of wet leaves.  I ran through puddles.  I ran as raindrops pounded on my face.  I loved every single minute of it.  I have never felt more powerful.  My head has never been so clear. I feel relaxed and refreshed.  I am addicted.  I cannot wait to run again.

The most frequently asked question I receive is how do I find the time to do it all?  And my answer is, I DON'T.  Not everything can happen in one day -- there just aren't enough hours.  But, I do my best, and that's all I can ask for.  I make to do lists that are a mile long.  I re-organize, re-prioritize and edit as I go.  I pull my hair out.  I get frustrated and annoyed that I can't do it all, but I have to realize that I am human.  So, if I can't make my bed every morning--oh well. If I can't do that certain load of laundry--oh well.  If I need to order take out because my fridge is empty--oh well.  I am human.  BUT wait--today I became a RUNNER! And now for the first time ever - I can cross that off my "to do" list!

(Mommy Note:  I want to say thanks to my cousin Jenn for being my running partner this week.  She's been there with me in the dark and in the rain.  And a BIG thanks to my sister, Stef, for keeping both  Jenn and I motivated and inspired.  We're trying to keep up with you and make you proud.)   
    

3 comments:

  1. Hear us ROAR! (& whine walking up that hill back to home base)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Ms. Runner!
    I started running because of Stef too! She's inspiring people all over the place. Maybe I would feel like a runner if I got more gear. I still feel pretty lame because so many runners keep lapping me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. good luck with the running! I am not a runner.

    ReplyDelete